Delamater Iron Works, New York NY

(formerly Phoenix Iron Works and Hogg & Delamater)

Most recent update: May 22, 2016.


The Phoenix Foundry was established in 1835, on West Street, between Hubert and Vestey Streets, in lower Manhattan.  In 1842, it became Hogg & Delamater and in 1850 it became Delamater Iron Works and moved to a site between the foot of West 13th Street and the foot of West 14th Street.  In 1889, it moved to the Erie Basin, in Brooklyn, and was renamed, Erie Basin Dry Dock Company, subsequently merging with several other yards to become the entity that ended up as Todd Shipyards.  The table below is clearly incomplete: if anyone has any data to add to it, please send it to me at timcolton@aol.com

Hull # O.N. Original Name Original Owner Type Tons Built

Disposition

Built by Hogg & Delamater

    Black Diamond Delaware and Raritan Co. Canal Boat 137 1842 Converted 1884
    Vulcan Delaware and Raritan Co. Canal Boat 137 1842 Abandoned 1908
    Ironsides Delaware and Raritan Co. Canal Boat 137 1842 Abandoned 1897
    Anthracite Delaware and Raritan Co. Canal Boat 137 1842 Abandoned 1883
    Pioneer H. R. Worthington Canal Boat 53 1842 Converted 1847
    Phoenix   Steamboat 56 1843 Abandoned 1856
    Pilot Benjamin Prince Steamboat 54 1843 Abandoned 1854
    Iron Witch R. B. Forbes and others Passenger Steamer 614 1845 Abandoned 1862
    Firefly R. B. Forbes Launch 20 1846 Sold foreign 1863
    Mist R. B. Forbes and others Launch 36 1849 Abandoned 1852

Built by Delamater Iron Works

    Jacob Bell R. B. Forbes Tug 250 1849 To USN 1861, lost 1865
    No name R. B. Forbes Steamboat 75 1856  
    Matanzas Mora Bros., Navaro & Co. Steamship 862 1860 Burned 1868
  na Dictator U.S. Navy Ironclad 4,438 1862 Sold 1883
    Vermland   Yacht 52 1870  
  na Fern U.S. Revenue Service Tender 548 1872 To USN 1891
  125258 City of Fitchburg New Bedford & NY SS Co. Passenger Steamer 822 1874 Surprise 1902, Warren 1905, scrapped 1909
  125254 City of New Bedford New Bedford & NY SS Co. Passenger Steamer 822 1874 Scrapped 1906