Cape Cod Shipbuilding, Wareham MA

(known as Wareham Shipyards during WWII)

Most recent update: November 20, 2016.


Cape Cod Shipbuilding was established in 1899, by Myron and Charles Gurney, as the Cape Cod Power Dory Co: the name was changed in 1919, when they moved to 7 Narrows Road.  They were prolific builders of small boats who expanded for WWII and after the war were among the first yards to build fiberglass boats, buying the rights to build all Herreshoff's designs and, amazingly, increasing their output even above its wartime level.  The company continues in business today: visit them at www.capecodshipbuilding.com and see the yard from the air on Google here.  If anyone can add to the table below, please e-mail timcolton@aol.com.

Hull # O.N.

Original Name

Original Owner Type GT Ft. Delivery Disposition
  253592 Yankee   Fishing Vessel 12 39 1942 Active
    J 956-961 US Army Passenger Boat   40 3/43-4/43 6 boats
    J 1041 US Army Passenger Boat   40 4/43 1 boat
    J 521-535 US Army Passenger Boat   40 9/43-12/43 15 boats
    MTL 256-260 US Army Harbor Tug   47 4/43-5/43 5 boats
    MTL 537-554 US Army Harbor Tug   47 9/43-1/44 18 boats
    MTL 555-564 US Army Harbor Tug   46 1/44-3/44 10 boats
    J 2143-2148 US Army Salvage Boat   50 1/45-3/45 6 boats
  501139 Erimus   Yacht 15 36 1965 Active
  512905 Vesta   Yacht 6 30 1965 Active
  546661 Mystere   Yacht 6 30 1973 Active
  596719 Synia   Yacht 14 36 1978 Active
  618454 Afterglow   Yacht 14 36 1980  
  648224 Mariah   Yacht 21 44 1982  
  929927 Temerity   Yacht 8 30 1983